15 August 2015

From the Newspapers: - Wedding Bells

My love for the New Zealand website ‘Papers Past’ just continues to grow. This is mainly due to the absolute wealth of family information that I am gaining from the fantastic old historic newspapers that are available to browse or search through. 

James & Hanora (nee COSGRIFF) EGAN,
married on the 6th of August 1913
(please click on image to enlarge)
On one of my recent research trips through ‘Papers Past’ I came across this wonderful article all about the wedding of my maternal great grandparents, James and Hanora (nee COSGRIFF) EGAN. They were married on the 6th of August 1913 in the small town of Nightcaps in Western Southland. 

Otautau Standard & Wallace County
Chronicle, 26 Aug 1913, pg 5
(please click on image to enlarge)
Being able to read about exactly what happened on their wedding day, and even who gave what speech, almost brings them to life for me and it allows me to imagine what it was like to actually be there. Going by what the article says, it seems that James and Hanora were a very well-liked and popular couple. It is such a shame that they got to spend less than six years together before the tragic string of events began that tore their family apart.



___________________________




For more details about their short marriage and life together please follow this link

No comments:

Post a Comment